(Unless otherwise instructed by your physician)
Diet and Elimination
- Increase your water intake to keep urine clear.
- Avoid straining with bowel movements.
- If stent was placed with string, do not pull or remove string.
Do not drive, drink alcoholic beverages, transact legal business, care for a dependent person or take public transportation alone for 24 hours following surgery. Rest for the first 48 hours and increase activity as tolerated.
Strain urine for stone particles for one week. Save the residue in an envelope or plastic bag and return it to the office for analysis. Additionally, x-rays of the kidneys may be ordered by your physician.
It is important for your care that you keep your follow up appointment.
Patient Expectations (up to 72 hours)
- Blood in urine
- Moderate to severe discomfort and pain from sand particles passing
- Bruising of back or abdominal areas at the site of the shockwave treatment.
- Nausea for 24-48 hours.
- Minor fever of less than 101ºF for 24-48 hours
Contact a physician if you are experiencing…
- Pain, more severe than can be controlled with oral medication
- Fever greater than 101ºF for 24-48 hours
- Failure to produce urine for more than 8 hours
- Persistent nausea and vomiting
- Significant burning with urination
West Coast Urology
Lawrence R. Paletz, MD
Ernest H. Agatstein, MD FACS
Shahrad Aynehchi, MD FACS
Sepehr Nowfar, MD, MPH
Inglewood (310) 673-3333 Downey (562) 923-0706 Los Alamitos (562) 449-4183