(Orchiectomy – Hydrocele – Spermatocele – Varicocele Repair)
What to Expect
- Slight redness, swelling, and scant drainage along the incision for 24-48 hours
- Mild to moderate discomfort.
- Bruising as the tissue heals.
- Mild burning with urination, frequency, and/or urgency.
- Low-grade fever.
- Mild nausea and vomiting secondary to anesthesia.
- No sexual intercourse until cleared by physician.
- Check with physician regarding specific work instruction.
- Wear athletic supporter or snug jockey underwear
- Shower only after 48 hours;.Sponge bath as needed for the first two days after surgery. No bath tub, pool or Jacuzzi for two weeks after surgery.
- Keep wound dry for the first 2 days, then you may wash incision with soap and water
- Apply ice pack to scrotum for the first 48 hours as needed to limit swelling.
Diet and Elimination
- Diet as tolerated. Begin with clear liquids, clear soup, dry toast or crackers. If not nauseated may resume regular diet.
- Increase water intake to keep urine clear.
- Avoid straining with bowel movements.
Call our Office if:
- Increasing pain and swelling
- Fever greater than 101.5 F
- Difficulty voiding.
- Severe nausea and vomiting.
West Coast Urology
Lawrence R. Paletz, MD
Ernest H. Agatstein, MD FACS
Shahrad Aynehchi, MD FACS
Sepehr Nowfar, MD, MPH
Inglewood (310) 673-3333 Downey (562) 923-0706